[RRG] Solving the Right Problem

Hi everyone,

While responding to some criticisms of APT, I came upon an observation
that I would like to share with the list; many of the criticisms to
proposals coming out of the RRG have to do with a lack of additional
features that currently do not exist on the Internet.  Some examples: a
fast push system that can propogate mapping changes faster than bgp can
propogate routing changes, a lack of explicit mobility support, an
inability to detect router failures better than IGPs currently can,
etc.

IMVHO, the RRG should aim for a practical solution to solving the
routing scalability problem that results in little to no degradation of
current Internet services.  Any additional features should be considered
extra, and should only be provided if they come at little to no extra
cost.  The tradeoffs and side effects that come with additions will only
complicate an already-complex problem space.  It would be prudent not to
concern ourselves with solving a whole lot of problems the Internet
faces; just the one we were set out to solve.

Dan Jen