RE: [RRG] Consensus? End-user networks need their own portable address space

% OK - but there is no other engineering mechanism than portable
% address space which enables them to switch to another ISP
% without unreasonable costs and disruption.

Several approaches that provide those capabilities have been
discussed here in the past.  So I disagree with "there is no
other ... mechanism".

% Sure, but there are no other alternatives.

I disagree that "there are no other alternatives".

% What mechanisms other than portable address space
% are there which would enable any decent sized network
% to change ISPs without a great deal of error-prone
% manual work?

One can imagine several methods.

Decoupling the TCP session state from the IP address(es) in use,
which was one possibility envisioned at the IAB Workshop,
enables a range of different approaches, for example.

% Can you cite an example of techniques in use today which
% make any end-user network easy to change from one
% PA prefix to another?

Again, your premise is wrong.  The Routing RG can consider
any architectural approach -- whether or not that proposed
approach is "in use today".

Yours,

Ran