[RRG] We can't bet the Internet on the imminent adoption of IPv6

Short version:

  We should agree that the RRG solution needs to work for both
  IPv4 and IPv6.

In Re: "Doing It Right" (was Re: [RRG] Consensus? IPv4 scaling
problem ...). Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> On 2008-05-28 09:36, David Conrad wrote:
>> Further, as evidenced by the lack of any significant deployment
>> after a dozen years, it can be argued that IPv6 has been a clear
>> market failure.
>
> I'd argue that the market test hasn't started yet, and won't until
> the RIRs actually run out of IPv4 prefixes. Obviously, that date
> was deferred by 10 or 15 years as a result of NAT, compared to
> what many expected in the IPng days.
>
> But is this really an RRG issue?

IPv6 adoption is an issue for the RRG for two reasons at least:

1 - Because it affects the urgency with which a scalable routing
    solution must be deployed for IPv6.

2 - Because some folks believe that we don't need to solve the
    routing scaling problem for IPv4 - just for IPv6.  To the
    extent that these folks make it impossible to reach a rough
    consensus that we must develop a solution for IPv4, then
    the question of how and when IPv6 will be adopted widely
    is central to the RRG's work.

    This is because only when IPv6 is very widely adopted could
    enough end-user networks not use IPv4 - which is the only way
    of solving the IPv4 problem without solving it directly.

    Randall and others argue that IPv6-only networks can
    interoperate with IPv4 for most major protocols.  Other than
    email and perhaps HTTP, I strongly disagree.  There is no
    evidence that the required proxies or ALGs exist or that they
    are technically possible.  See Randy Bush's October 2007 piece:
    http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0710/presentations/Bush-v6-op-reality.pdf

        How does a user at a v6-only site get to the Internet, i.e.
        a v4-only site?

        They don’t!

        What can be done to help as much as possible?

        Core Routing – conversion to dual stack is slow

           New line cards are often required!
           $50 DSL Modems do not support v6
           $50 Firewalls do not support v6
           Teredo does not really scale

        shim6 is does not solve enterprise or large site, and is
        not deployable due to security and routing model issues

        Enterprise
          Databases, PeopleSoft, Siebold, Business Applications ...
          Firewalls, VPNs, Access, ...
          Millions of lines of in-house code
          NFS Appliances, unknown
          If one link in the business application production chain
          is not there, it does not transition

        Where is the web page with a matrix of application by
        platform showing which are v6 capable and clickable link on
        how to turn it on?

        Many applications which support v6 have sufficiently poor
        performance that early adopters are being told to turn v6
        off XP will not work in a v6-only environment, because it
        does not support DNS queries over IPv6

        All IPv6 sites need to have the ability to SMTP to arbitrary
        IPv4 sites

        Therefore everyone needs private dual stack relay until the
        world is all dual stack SMTP

        (On NAT-PT which was moved to historic status with
        RFC 4966) The IETF needs to standardize 4/6 NAT for ICMP,
        UDP, TCP, RTP, maybe how ALGs plug in, especially DNS ALG.

    This is from someone who strongly believes in IPv6!

An IT system with very low adoption after 12 years is a clear market
failure.  It is arguably a technical failure too - but the technical
challenge, to be backwards compatible with IPv4, was perhaps an
impossible task.

I think it would be a grave mistake to bet the continued health of
the Internet on the rapid adoption of IPv6 to the point where, in
some foreseeable time-frame soon enough for the coming (2010 and
beyond) explosion in IPv4 DFZ routes, IPv6 adoption will be
ubiquitous enough that significant numbers of end-user networks
won't need IPv4 addresses.

I think it would be a very good thing to achieve consensus that we
must solve the IPv4 routing scalability problem directly.  Besides,
if we don't then most folks outside the IETF - who generally don't
have any great belief in Salvation through IPv6 - will look on the
RRG's work as being derailed by people with a completely unrealistic
confidence in the ubiquitous adoption of IPv6.

The IPv6 faithful have some valid reasons for thinking of IPv6 as
the only possible long-term solution - but at present, and in the
foreseeable future, the only substantial benefit IPv6 offers is
freedom from IPv4's address crunch.

This crunch is being played up, as was Y2k, as the sky falling in at
a discrete point in time (2010 or so) and that there won't be any
more IPv4 space - so all newcomers will be forced to adopt IPv6
addresses.

This is completely unrealistic for reasons including the following:

1 - There is plenty of address space left in IPv4