RE: [RRG] Conceptual vs. specific - another discussion list?

Tony and others,

>|Likewise, does this mean that discussions about migration of large
>|numbers of users to IPv6, or to a future significantly modified
>|version of IPv6, are out of scope?  My guess is they would be, and
>|would disrupt the discussions you want to focus on.
>

>Yes, you're correct.  We've spent 15 years talking about v6 migration
and
>there's been very little light shed for the last 14 of those.  ;-)

I believe that some of the barriers to migration have been
shortcomings of tunneling mechanisms that might be used in
a solution to IPv6 routing scaling. In particular, it is
widely acknowledged that in-the-network tunneling can lead
to silent failure modes due to limitations in both classical
path MTU discovery and in-the-network fragmentation.
Additionally, multicast capabilities for automatic tunnels
that would support routing scaling have been specified but
not widely implemented or used.

I have described the VET (draft-templin-autoconf-dhcp) and
SEAL (draft-templin-seal) mechansims in past messages to this
list as proposals that address many of these shortcomings. I
can now say that running Linux kernel code that implements
VET and SEAL in the particular use case of IPv6-in-IPv4
tunneling is available for download and experimentation at:

  http://osprey67.com/seal

There is a README at the site that gives a barebones overview
of how to build and run the code. Further details are available
in the Internet drafts. As experimentation is an important
element of the research process, I would welcome constructive
feedback from those who would be interested to test the code.

Again, this is in response to the assertion that little light
has been shed on the IPv6 migration over the past decade (and
longer), since these technologies do shed new light. Based on
ways forward, I believe these technologies may play an important
role in our efforts to address IPv6 routing scaling.

Fred L. Templin
fred.l.templin@boeing.com