Re: [RRG] Long term clean-slate only for the RRG?

Yakov,
Would you mind to explain what you wanted to express by what has been called your law ?
It is pretty difficult, because DV-based routing does NOT provide ANY topology. While favoring topology aggregation, I am in favor of "topology which follows addressing", however in a well determined sense:
that a (sparsed) topology is built/viewed based on geographical information (addressing).
I would appreciate your own clarification.

Heiner

BTW: We have just reached the final, whill Russia join too?

In einer eMail vom 24.06.2008 16:28:24 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt yakov@juniper.net:
Dino,

> > Robin,
> > Yes !!! Be assured, myself, I am also and only focused on a long-
> > term solution, i.e. on a forever scaling solution.
> > At the same time I never was opposed to LISP or whichever map-encap
> > variant if considered to be a near-term interim solution.By other
> > words: map-encap is definitely not the longterm solution.
> > Instead I am convinced that topology aggregation will become the
> > longterm solution because it would scale even if the internet became
> > bigger than the network of our roads and streets.
>
> And to add to this, from the beginning, none of the LISP authors felt
> that LISP was the ultimate long-term solution.
>
> So, should the short-term map-n-encap solution be for IPv4 and the
> long-term solution be for IPv6 only? That would depart from the
> thought of having one solution for both address-families.
>
> Could we agree that one map-n-encap solution for both IPv4 and IPv6 be
> a short-term solution while we work on a long-term solution for IPv6-
> only?

Perhaps we should first agree that there is a need a *short term*
solution for both IPv4 and IPv6. The following (from Tony's e-mail
on 5/26/2008) is relevant to the discussion on whether there is
such a need:

   Well, Ross Callon has been quoted as saying that the Juniper
   implementation will have no problems up through many millions
   of routes.

   Now, conceptually, that could happen tomorrow.  However, at the
   current growth rates, that's likely to be many years.

Yakov.