Re: [RRG] Long term clean-slate only for the RRG?

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net> wrote:
> Perhaps we should first agree that there is a need a *short term*
> solution for both IPv4 and IPv6.
>> at the current growth rates, that's likely to be many years.

Hi Yakov,

Current growth rates are not representative of actual demand. They've
been suppressed by the RIRs for more than a decade now, via their
refusal to assign small otherwise-routeable blocks (e.g. /24). The
suppression was initiated as a stop-gap solution at the request of the
network operators faced with what is currently an unrecoverable
systemic cost of about US $2B per year and growing.

Needless to say, that decade-long stopgap is wearing thin. We really
do an alternative.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--