Re: [RRG] Long term clean-slate only for the RRG?

On 2008-06-28 09:59, Yakov Rekhter wrote:
>> NAT has a major OpEx hit but again the
>> mapping database proposals especially LISP-ALT is not really
>> introducing anything monumentally new.
>
> Wrt "NAT has a major OpEx hit", the (very wide) deployment of NATs
> should give you a hint that its benefits (significantly) outweight
> its cost. And what matters is not whether one claims that it is "a
> major OpEx hit", but that the experience showed that its benefits
> justify its cost.  And yes, I know that some folks have a knee jerk
> reaction when they hear the word "NAT".

I think one of the undiscussed properties of NAT is that its OpEx
hit is disguised. We don't know how many help desk calls are a result
of undiagnosed NAT side-effects and we don't know how much end-user
time is wasted due to NAT state loss resulting in dropped sessions.
We do know that one help desk call wipes out a year's profit on
that subscriber, so I suspect that the hidden OpEx hit is quite
significant.

Unfortunately this doesn't change Yakov's argument, unless these
hidden costs can be measured and made explicit in customers' and
ISPs' books.

    Brian