Re: [RRG] Long term clean-slate only for the RRG?

Yakov,

On Jun 27, 2008, at 2:25 PM, Yakov Rekhter wrote:
(a) what are the benefits of separating location and identity,

To state the obvious, by divorcing the identity from the location, you allow that identity to "easily" change location. Conceptually, the benefits of such a split would include:

- end users/sites having multiple providers (multihoming) without having to participate in the locator routing system - end users/sites changing from one provider to another over a long time period (i.e., changing ISPs) - end users/sites changing from one provider to another over short time periods (i.e., mobility, depending on how the mapping is performed) - ISPs being able to rearrange network topology without significantly impacting network users - ISPs being able to migrate to IPngng without significantly impacting network users
- removing the need for end users/sites to renumber (ever again)
- reducing or removing the need to assign end user/sites address space in a hierarchical manner - avoiding the need of ISPs and end users/sites to deal with potentially multiple layers of NAT

There are probably other benefits I'm forgetting right now.

(b) who is going to benefit and who is going to bear the cost (both in the short and in the

long term),

Both end users/sites and ISPs would benefit (see above).

There are multiple costs that would need to be born, varying depending on implementation. In general, there would be the capital cost of the deployment of ITR/ETR devices or redeployment of network stacks. There would also be the cost of implementing, managing, and distributing the locator/identifier mappings, potentially including the cost of the mapping device(s). In non-capital costs, depending on how the mapping was implemented, you would have either increased latency for at least the first packet in a new transaction (in a "pull" model) or increased traffic and memory requirements (in a "push" model).

There are probably other costs I'm forgetting right now.

(c) could one benefit with only a partial deployment,

I suppose it depends on what you mean by partial deployment. One can imagine scenarios where you have incremental deployment amongst cooperating ISPs, but one of the hardest problems to solve is how you have asymmetrical deployment (that is, where an end/user site has migrated to the new system and wants to communicate with an end/user site that hasn't yet migrated). Obviously, NAT deals with the asymmetrical deployment problem, but brings with it its own costs.

etc...

While I agree that a cost/benefit analysis needs to be done, I think it worthwhile to keep in mind the alternatives. The alternatives (as far as I am aware) are:

a) PI for everyone
b) NAT

I hope you'll agree that alternative (a) alone is not scalable in the long term. One can imagine a scenario where you have a universe of NATs connected via PA assigned end points, however I'd argue this is actually a locator/ID split where the IDs are not globally unique.

Am I missing an alternative?

Regards,
-drc