Re: [RRG] EXPLISP BOF at the Dublin IETF

2 - Better explain how LISP-ALT system works, by way of
   practical examples, presentation material with graphics
   etc.  I am not the only one who finds it hard to understand
   the LISP IDs clearly, and frequently finds that when a
   question about LISP is answered on the list, that the
   explanation involves things which seem to contradict what
   we thought we learnt from the LISP IDs.

Here is a slide that has been used in many presentations.

The top side is the initial Data Probe or Map-Request flow sent from the 11.0.0.1 ITR soliciting a Map-Reply from the destination site that owns EID 240.1.1.1. Then the bottom side is shows that ITR 11.0.0.1 uses ETR 1.1.1.1 for subsequent packet encapsulation.

The solid purple lines indicate where BGP over GRE operates. And the dotted purple lines are GRE tunnels where BGP is not used so we can realize a low OpEx ITR/ETR.

We have the pilot network up running LISP+ALT for both IPv4 and IPv6 EID-prefixes. We use 240.0.0.0/4 and 2610:00d0::/32 as EID-prefixes for IPv4 and IPv6 respectively.

Dino

P.S. RRG, if this is an inappropriate post, I'm sorry, I won't do it again.

PNG image