Re: [RRG] Long term clean-slate only for the RRG?

On 6/28/08 3:32 PM, Dino Farinacci allegedly wrote:
Ah, I don't consider the location/identity split a 'routing
architecture'.  It's an ancillary aspect of the overall system
architecture, one which has at best some influence on particular
desired operational goals having to do with routing (e.g. provider
independence).
That is the reason I call a solution like LISP more shorter-term in
the grand scheme of things.
Dino

How long is "short term"? It would be great to start with a clean slate and produce a stupendous architecture, but we have an installed base, and besides which our ideas of what makes an architecture stupendous can change dramatically over time. The problems are scaling and stability. We want to solve them in a way that will sustain Internet growth, in multiple ways, for our foreseeable future, and will allow easy deployment of a new architecture when that one gets tired [cite: Feynman]. I think at least some of the ideas on the table can satisfy these requirements. So if "short-term" means "until the Internet changes beyond what we currently conceive of" then I agree.

I view short-term versus long-term in this context not based on the length of time the solution will suffice but what should start first with a bit more urgency and what should have more think time and not be as time critical to start.

Dino