Re: [RRG] Long term clean-slate only for the RRG?

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 5:58 PM,  <HeinerHummel@aol.com> wrote:
> In einer eMail vom 03.07.2008 21:47:51 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
> bill@herrin.us:
>> -MY- point was that Line 1 need not be there at all. It is an
>> identifier which serves no role in the routing. If you get line 1
>> wrong or leave it off entirely your letter will still get to me.
>
> And this is precisely MY point, too:-)
> Ignore line 1 before the letter hasn't reach the egress post office.
> (maybe we should "invent"  MPLS-2 :-).

No, no, a thousand times no. My point was NOT that you can ignore line
1 until condition X. My point was that you can remove line 1 from the
envelope -completely- and the postal routing system still delivers the
letter correctly.

Drawing the analogy back to it's origin, my point was that in a
clean-slate system, node identity doesn't belong at layer 3. It
belongs above layer 3, either in a layer 3b or in layer 4. ONLY
network location belongs in layer 3. And network location is a
fundamentally ephemeral thing; it changes constantly with your node's
geographical movement and with the the ups and downs of the network's
interconnections.

As for MPLS, who wants to argue that MPLS -is-not- a map-encap protocol? Not me.

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 6:36 PM, Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:
> And just to be clear, BGP4 routing is not highly meshed.
> 86.3% of active autonomous systems are purely originators of
> routes (stubs), 13.4% also provide transit, and 0.3% are pure
> transit systems. 42% of autonomous systems originate only one prefix.

I wonder what percentage of streets are cul-de-sacs?

Last month, thunderstorms took out power to about a quarter of
Northern Virginia. With most of the traffic lights out and not enough
police to direct traffic, the commute home was horrid. After averaging
about a mile an hour down one street, I pulled out my laptop and GPS
to try to find some neighborhood roads that would get me there. No
such luck: all the turns that didn't dead-end just ended up right back
on the same street.

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Scott Brim <swb@employees.org> wrote:
> [Postal address line 1 is] a port selector.

You may be right. Perhaps our problem with scalable routing is that
we've allowed layer-4 identity to leak into layer 3. Fix the layer-4
problem and a clean layer-3 routing/addressing solution comes into
focus.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--