Re: [RRG] Should the identifier be used as local locator

On 2008-07-04 15:53, Xu Xiaohu wrote:
> As for a clear-slate system, should the identifier be used for local
> locator?

Not essentially, but you can't invent any solution that doesn't
include a final step of finding the local locator that corresponds
to the identifier. In other words there must be a mapping function
at the local level.

I think that we all have our brains distorted by the rigidity
of the OSI model with its strictly numbered layers, where in effect
a layer N locator is (mis)treated as an identifier by layer N+1.
We've been brainwashed into believing that there is something
fundamental in having only two layers between physical and
transport. What's interesting about LISP is that it inserts an
extra layer there, which I believe should be a recursive step.
At each recursion you need an identifier-to-locator mapping.

   Brian