Re: [RRG] Geographic aggregation-based routing

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 11:29 AM,  <HeinerHummel@aol.com> wrote:
> In einer eMail vom 14.07.2008 17:17:46 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
> bill@herrin.us:
>> http://bill.herrin.us/network/geoag-h1.gif.
>>> I still do not understand what you try to teach me.
>
>> Your algorithm does not correctly enforce the permission constraint.
>> Thus it is unusable in an interdomain setting where the permission
>> constraint is a requirement.
>
> Of course it would reflect this requirement: It reflects the
> direction-specific attribute per link.

Your algorithm failed to pick the permitted paths when we computed the
example over the weekend. Would you like to change something in the
computation so that your algorithm picks permitted paths for both H to
A and D to E?

Remember: permission is described by the green arrows in the diagram.
A packet is permitted to transit a node IF AND ONLY IF there is a
trail of green arrows to that node from either the packet's source
node or the packet's destination node.

Your error may be that you don't comprehend Internet routing's
permission model. It's not a BGP thing, it's an economic thing. Quite
simply, each green arrow indicates the payment of money or some other
consideration in exchange for "Internet service." The arrow starts
with the node making payment and points to the node which is paid.

Until you understand the economic model you must engineer for, you
will continue to fail.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--