Re: [RRG] Geographic aggregation-based routing

In einer eMail vom 10.07.2008 16:48:15 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt bill@herrin.us:
As I'm pretty sure most everyone else on the list has figured out,
routing based on geographic aggregation results in routing policy
violations in any sufficiently complex internetwork.

Consider the configuration of 8 nodes at:
http://bill.herrin.us/network/geoag.gif
Bill,
I think we should summon up this thread by one more email from either side. I'll hereby start so that you have the final word:-)

There are many possible and well working business models. They may not be  identical if based on the green arrows compared with if based on the red arrows. Postal service providers know how to make business with each other, and so do telephone service providers, although they  neither use BGP nor OSPF.
And sometimes business models change: Least Cost Routing (with multiple distance zones and time zones) is more or less replaced by flat rate billing (which is so unfair but liked by every customer - and probably also by the service providers because it simplifies proper billing).
Will say: This business model issue is not a killer argument at all and we shouldn't bother about while searching for a (clean-slate) solution.

Heiner