Re: [RRG] Geographic aggregation-based routing

In einer eMail vom 16.07.2008 17:25:07 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt iljitsch@muada.com:

(Note that you can easily reverse this problem: today we route to the
target network and then to the target region. This works with
incomplete regional interconnection between networks, but it fails if
different parts of a single network become partitioned. Hence we spend
a lot of money and effort to make sure that doesn't happen.)
I must admit: Partitioning is an important and also interesting problem for which I have no worked out solution yet. But I am glad about this, because it guarantees to have some fun during a project I am still hoping for. It will certainly be inspired by the marvelous Google map zooms.

The solution is rather than to impose 100% geographical aggregation,
just apply the aggregation when the more specific and the aggregate
align. If they don't, keep the more specific. This way, we get to
benefit from the regionality that is clearly present in the network,
especially outside huge countries like the US and (presumably) China,
while at the same time not imposing any new requirements on protocols
or business models.

However, we DO need to start giving out addresses in a geographically
aggregatable way, rather than in pseudo-random fashion, the way things
happen today.
You are absolutely right ! At least an additional such part of the address.

Heiner