Re: [RRG] Geographic aggregation-based routing

On 17 jul 2008, at 16:41, William Herrin wrote:

Sounds like a straightforward research project.

I don't see how evaluating the savings in the current situation is very interesting. We know our routers can handle the current situation.

*Note* that while you can potentially drop the routes in the FIB, you
can't drop them in the RIB. Your downstream customer could reasonably
have an alternate set of routes where some of your more specifics are
optimal and some aren't. Even if two adjacent routes in your router
are identical in every respect, his may not be. If you drop the routes
from the RIB, it impairs his ability to make good routing decisions.

Sure. But you can handle this with a route server rather than have EVERY router have all prefixes.

And when geographic aggregation gets off the ground, multihomed end- users will probably stop being interested in geoPI more specifics, but rather, get geo aggregates from their ISPs.

You do need to propagate all your geoPI customer prefixes to other networks in all locations to avoid problems, though. For the largest networks in the world even that number may be significant...

Iljitsch