Re: [RRG] IEEE EUI-64 as an Identifier format

Dino,

However, you get zero aggregation of ID space with EUI-64 assignments. Not good for a mapping database.

Yes. But I suspect that wishes about the aggregatability of the ID space are similar to past wishes about aggregatability of addresses. I.e., wishes that do not necessarily become true.

Note that aggregation of the ID space can come in two ways: ability to map range of IDs belonging to an organization vs. ability map an individual host's ID. I would suggest that we need the former. The latter would replace current scalability and aggregation problems with different scalability and aggregation problems.

You can't have ranges because MAC addresses are not allocated that way. They are random by nature.

The only way to aggregate is by doing power-of-2 aggregation. That is you need to use the entire 128-bits of an IPv6 address as the EID. Then you aggregate on the high-order bits truncating off the EUI-64 low-order bits. This is precisely an LISP IPv6 EID-prefix.

Dino