Re: [RRG] IEEE EUI-64 as an Identifier format

Dino,

You can't have ranges because MAC addresses are not allocated that way. They are random by nature.

The only way to aggregate is by doing power-of-2 aggregation. That is you need to use the entire 128-bits of an IPv6 address as the EID. Then you aggregate on the high-order bits truncating off the EUI-64 low-order bits. This is precisely an LISP IPv6 EID-prefix.

Yes. But point was: I see a lot of value in ID space allocation per organization, just like in PI space. This is workable in terms of the mapping system. You can go further, as you are suggesting above. But I do not necessarily see the value, and I do see a significant number of problems, starting from scalability.

Jari