[RRG] thoughts on the design space 4: encapsulate vs. translate

My other conclusions relate to the choice between encapsulation and translation.

First, I think we need to consider this choice in the context of the entire functionality, including interworking with the legacy Internet. I like the proxy encapsulator (PTR) design, and would far prefer that to translation. However, as discussed before its unclear if this is deployable due to incentive issues. For the moment, that leaves translation as the deployable interworking scheme.

I do not care much whether the upgraded-to-upgrade traffic uses encapsulation or translation. That's a detail in many ways.

So for the moment this leaves me with the following "best" design:

1. Employ something like NERD for the mapping table, no caching
2. Identifier spaces are allocated per organization, PI style, and we do not attempt to solve the host identifier-locator split 3. Translate or encapsulate when talking from an upgraded network to another upgraded network
4. Translate when talking to a legacy network

While this is "best" solution in my today's opinion, the big question in my mind is whether it is good enough, and what the drawbacks are. I understand that Christian has been making some progress in eliminating some NAT effects from translation design when using IPv6. However, how significant are the remaining ones? I share the concerns with Brian. Also, the entire system has a number of other implications, such as effects to referrals, and increased complexity.

Jari