Re: [RRG] thoughts on the design space 3: caching

Dino,

LISP can do both Jari. It's not wedded to one way or the other.

I realize that. I'm not trying to criticize LISP or any other solution dataplane solution. I

I know you're not.

think I said in the initial mail that LISP + NERD would not have this problem. But I see a

It is not at all clear if it is a problem. In fact, I'll argue on some points it could be a feature.

fairly broad design space -- we COULD do anything, but what SHOULD we do? I think it would be useful to narrow this down.

In particular:

- caching is responsible for a number of problems people have with the solutions

There are 100s if not 1000s of designs all over computer science and electronics that use caching. Some have failed and some are in mainstream use.

- there does not seem to be a compelling reason that the caching-or- not design should affect the architecture

Well, one thing this list keeps doing is trying to draw the line where architecture should stop leaving it for some other process, say engineering, to make the really hard decisions. If the architecture is too high-level and doesn't "draw a line in the sand", then the practical architecture will happen after this step in the process.

So you can't punt very many things or you become irrelevant.

Dino