Re: [RRG] Six/One Router Design Clarifications

(perhaps I shouldn't have done catching up on rrg mails, but..)

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008, Dino Farinacci wrote:
[long list of encap/decap vs translation discussions omitted]
You have to do the same with encapsulation.

One thing I didn't see mentioned here is probably relevant. Encap/decap has a potential to be much more difficult if fragmentation would be incurred (especially outer header fragmentation); I have hard time seeing how you could even implement a line-speed decapsulator that would reassemble fragments as required by Full Standard IP RFCs.

The same problem could happen if you translated v4->v6 as well (i.e., payload size shrinkage).

See draft-touch-intarea-tunnels-00 and rfc4459.

As a result for encap/decap schemes I specifically want to see how they 100% avoid fragmentation, or describe how they deal with it.