RE: [RRG] Map-encap, fragmentation, PMTUD etc.

Also the Linux kernel code is here:

  http://osprey67.com/seal

To Pekka's question, fragmentation is not 100%
avoided however it is "tuned out" as early as
possible so as to avoid RFC4963-type problems
(using a "report fragmentation" mechanism).

>Please also take a look at:
>
>  http://www.firstpr.com.au/ip/ivip/pmtud-frag/
>
>My approach is intended to cope gracefully with transition to
>jumboframes in the DFZ - so it goes well beyond coping with the
>immediate problem of the encapsulation overhead pushing the final
>packet length over the 1500 byte limit.  I explain it in terms of
>Ivip but I think the principles apply just as well to LISP,
>APT or TRRP.

SEAL also supports graceful accommodation of larger
path MTUs. Just to be clear, the 2KB reassembly limit
in SEAL is there *only* to accommodate paths with
marginal MTUs. But, larger path MTUs will still be
naturally discovered and utilized.

Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com