Re: Does every host need a FQDN name in the future?//re:[RRG] draft-rja-ilnp-intro-01.txt

On 6 aug 2008, at 8:11, Tony Li wrote:

It's not clear to me that you ever have to do a pure identifier to locator lookup. This is especially true since locators are only locally unique.

Locators are only locally unique? Isn't the whole point of a locator to get you where you want to be, not to a location which may or may not be the one you wanted to be but with the same name as the one where you want to be?

In my opinion, non-unique identifiers are not really any better than a locator/identifier overload like we have today. Maybe it can be made to work, but you're forever stuck with accommodating this limitation.

Case in point: shim6. It doesn't support setting up sessions if you don't have a working locator because it can't do an identifier-to- locator lookup.

Thus, you always need to have a locator identifier pair before starting a lookup, presumably to determine alternate locators. Once you have the first pair, you could do a reverse lookup to determine a name (and any name will
do) and then do a forward lookup to determine the locator set.

In other words: the FQDN is the real identifier and the value in the bottom 64 bits of the address field is meaningless.

Note that reliably providing reverse lookup DNS service with IPv6 isn't entirely trivial.