Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

On 2008-08-14 12:06, Dino Farinacci wrote:
One of the topics that came up in Dublin during Lixia's talk was the
acceptability of renumbering. How do folks feel about an architectural
solution requiring renumbering to retain scalability?

It will surely make new technology easier to deploy and scale better.
Will the bearer of the cost accept it? Well, it there is compelling
benefit, I think so. Do I think there is compelling benefits, again, I
think so.

And we think (the LISP crew) that single-homed sites that want to become
multi-homed sites will be willing to renumber. Will multi-homed sites
renumber for a loc/id split solution, I think it depends on how simple it is to run the solution and hence provide the benefits we have talked
about before.

Now, the hard question is, will multi-homed sites who already have
renumbered with PI space, will they renumber again so if a PTR solution
is put in place, we can advertise less routes rather than more for
interworking purposes.

Are we talking v4 or v6? For v6, we've always tried to project the
idea that renumbering, or rather adding and dropping prefixes, should

I was referring to both. Renumber in both cases is still a pain. Stateless auto-configuration in IPv6 doesn't help renumber routers, switches, and firewalls at the site.

be business as usual (RFC 4192). But I'm not sure this idea has
taken among typical site IT managers. It requires rather disciplined
operational practices such as a complete and current network management
database from which configs can be generated for routers, DHCP, DNS
etc. Without such practices, I think we'll see very strong resistance
to renumbering, even for IPv6 where it should be easier.

Well DHCPable address assignment should be easy. So all those roaming clients can be upgraded first. The routers and switches can have the dual prefix model as RFC 4192 suggests.

But staticly addressed servers will need planned outage.

Dino