Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

Dino Farinacci wrote:
One of the topics that came up in Dublin during Lixia's talk was the
acceptability of renumbering.  How do folks feel about an architectural
solution requiring renumbering to retain scalability?

It will surely make new technology easier to deploy and scale better. Will the bearer of the cost accept it? Well, it there is compelling benefit, I think so. Do I think there is compelling benefits, again, I think so.

And we think (the LISP crew) that single-homed sites that want to become multi-homed sites will be willing to renumber. Will multi-homed sites renumber for a loc/id split solution, I think it depends on how simple it is to run the solution and hence provide the benefits we have talked about before.

I think sites may accept renumbering if it benefits them (and not just
the common good). Renumbering to become multi-homed might be ok.

What I don't think a site would accept, is regular renumbering events.
Even renumbering to change or add a provider may be too much, just
witness the demand for IPv6 PI.

So, I think renumbering in order to deploy a new solution might be okay,
but not a solution that requires regular renumbering events.

Renumbering is pretty tricky. There are of course several documents on
this. One is
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chown-v6ops-renumber-thinkabout-04

Stig

Now, the hard question is, will multi-homed sites who already have renumbered with PI space, will they renumber again so if a PTR solution is put in place, we can advertise less routes rather than more for interworking purposes.

Dino