Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

On 15 aug 2008, at 22:09, Christian Vogt wrote:

Regarding question (1):  I would assume that, from the following list
of renumbering tasks, ...

(a) hardcoded IP addresses in applications
(b) IP addresses of hosts
(c) IP addresses of routers
(d) IP addresses in filter devices, such as firewalls, intrusion
   detection systems
(e) certificates issued for IP addresses

Shouldn't cases a and e fall under the "so don't do that" regime? Life is hard enough without going out of your way to make it more difficult than necessary...

But I guess the real question is: how do we get users to renumber? No matter how easy we make it (short of it being completely transparent, which isn't going to happen as long as we overload the functions of the IP address), if user simply refuse to renumber we've gained nothing.

This is one of the reasons why I think we should make an id/loc solution such that the locators are stripped off by the ISP. If the users don't get to see the locators, they can't hardcode them and renumbering (of the locators at least) remains a possibility.