Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

Hi Christian,
To answer the question Tony has raised, it may be useful to get some
common ground on:

(1) What are the renumbering tasks, and which cause most problems?

(2) Which renumbering tasks could be eliminated?

(3) How much more acceptable would renumbering become if some of the
    renumbering tasks were eliminated?

Let me take a first step in answering questions (1) and (2).

Suggest we review RFC 4192 which went into this in quite some depth for IPv6 (and the effort is similar for IPv4). A system that requires substantial amounts of renumbering is likely to tie itself to the IPv6 migration, because you can bet enterprise managers aren't going to want to do that twice if they can at all avoid it. Any system that diminishes renumbering requirements will be looked upon favorably. Your item (d) is indeed troublesome, by the way.

Eliot