Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

Dino,

On Aug 18, 2008, at 10:04 AM, Dino Farinacci wrote:
Only if they're using address space provided by the ISP they're leaving. Hence the proliferation of PI allocation policies at all the RIRs. We're well on our way to re-creating the swamp, only with the potential that it'll be vastly larger...
I have been informed, that after 30 days, the SP reassigns.

Obviously, only if the address space is the SP's to reassign. One of the arguments as to why IPv6 hasn't gotten more traction has been that the original allocation policies tried to limit IPv6 allocations to Internet service providers (specifically, to folks who would have "200 end-site assignments to other organizations within 5 years"), thus forcing every non-ISP to obtain provider aggregatable (PA) addresses and be subject to renumbering should a change of ISP be desired. Since that time, due to pressure from the IPv6 lobby and enterprise network operators, _every_ RIR has either passed or is discussing liberalizing a PI allocation policy to allow end users to obtain address space directly from the RIR (see section 6.5.8 of http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html for ARIN's version).

As Eric notes, any attempt to revert back to policies that imply non- ISPs will have to renumber if they change ISPs will be a non-starter and will merely guarantee whatever technology is being proposed that has that effect (regardless of what other effects it might have) will be ignored.

And if the disconnected site continues to use the reassigned space locally as in RFC 1918 there is no harm.

Well, unless the folks who are using the address space locally want to communicate with folks who just got the address space assigned to them.

But if they try to use the space globally, it won't work. And that is in contract when the site signs up to do business with the SP.

Hence, the desirability of PI address space.

Regards,
-drc