Re: [RRG] Providers and providers

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On 20 aug 2008, at 15:58, Eliot Lear wrote:

The trouble start when they don't act as an ISP and have each office connect to the internet independently - but they still want portable address space. In that case, we end up with 250k prefixes in the routing table.

How does that make a difference?

If you get a single prefix but connect to the internet in 500 locations, you need to deaggregate that prefix into 500 globally visible more specifics. This result is largely the same as the situation where you don't get that single prefix in the first place, but 500 individual ones.

You said 250k, which is what got me.  500, yes.

Eliot