Re: [RRG] Will the flat ID and its corresponding resolution infrastracture be practicable? [RRG] Renumbering...

On 2008-08-21 02:51, Scott Brim wrote:
> On 8/20/08 3:47 AM, Xu Xiaohu allegedly wrote:
>
> I can't find Tony's original mail but replying to your reply ...
>
>> Tony Li wrote:
>
>> Now, if someone has some mapping technology that does not require
>> aggregation at all (DHTs?), then there is a possible alternate to
>> NATs.
>
> To scale, DHTs would simply transform aggregation into iterative lookup.
>  There is no difference in the amount of effort.

In terms of joules per second, perhaps not, but surely the question
is about practicality. Will the "D" in DHT mean that a DHT-based map
is fast enough in practice? I'm not sure that question is really
different from one we've already discussed inconclusively: can
a caching mapping system cache enough entries close enough to
the ITRs?

    Brian