Re: [RRG] Providers and providers

On 2008-08-21 03:32, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> Put it another way, if you decide the DFZ can handle E entries, and the
> total size of the network is N nodes, if a company has more than N/E nodes,
> it gets PI locators, and if it has less than N/E, it doesn't.

Of course, this has the same chance of being accepted as registry
policy as I do of running faster than Usain Bolt. But it points us
once again to the fact that user sites do not pay the correct
price for their externality costs. As we've known for many years,
an appropriate economic model would be for ISPs to be charged per
BGP route that they advertise, and to pass these costs on to user
sites proportionately.

By the way, I showed a graphical history of E against sqrt(N) in
the IEPG meeting in Dublin (slide 8 in
http://www.iepg.org/2008-07-iepg72/carpenter.pdf ). I'm working
on a writeup.

    Brian