Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

On 20 aug 2008, at 18:45, Scott Brim wrote:

Identifiers are
primarily useful for multipath management and session continuity.
Identifiers may be in the network layer, and carried in network layer
packet headers, for convenience of the endpoints, but that doesn't
mean they should be included in routing information.

Well, then the question is: do we look up locators based on these identifiers?

If no, then they purely function on the transport and higher layers and have no relationship to the network layer so they might as well not exist for our purposes.

If yes, they need to have some hierarchy or have a very low granularity so their total number remains low in order to make the lookup function scale.