Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

On 8/21/08 4:16 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum allegedly wrote:
> On 20 aug 2008, at 18:45, Scott Brim wrote:
>
>> Identifiers are
>> primarily useful for multipath management and session continuity.
>> Identifiers may be in the network layer, and carried in network layer
>> packet headers, for convenience of the endpoints, but that doesn't
>> mean they should be included in routing information.
>
> Well, then the question is: do we look up locators based on these
> identifiers?

I still assume we're talking about "pure" identifiers ...

Since it is very hard to guarantee global uniqueness (unless they are
aggregated), I would not use them to look up locators, nor as the sole
authentication mechanism after a connection is established.

> If no, then they purely function on the transport and higher layers and
> have no relationship to the network layer so they might as well not
> exist for our purposes.

They are not part of routing and forwarding per se, but if a routing and
addressing approach has the headers carrying something that is useful as
an identifier, that's to be noted.

> If yes, they need to have some hierarchy or have a very low granularity
> so their total number remains low in order to make the lookup function
> scale.

true

Scott