Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

Why is this useful for the unnecessary complication of the
flexibility?

For example it allows users flexibility in managing their IDs; decide what to expose externally vs. internally; create applications utilizing the vast pool of permanent unique identifiers; change providers, etc.

You are going to hear over and over again that users don't want to manage anything.

Regarding unique IDs, they should be able to assume the IDs are unique because underlying layers take care of it for them.

Regarding changing providers, with a decent Loc/ID split solution, IDs don't have to change when you change service providers.

I would think that net admins don't want users to have
this flexibility and why would they care?

Need a definition of the user, e.g. a large enterprise is an end user to SP. The enterprise may want the above flexibility. SP on their side would focus on capacity and traffic.

If you have variable length IDs, then remote sites will have to capable of parsing the different lengths.

I don't think it's a good idea. We have enough fish to fry and this flexibility is not really providing any real value.

Dino