Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

On 22 aug 2008, at 20:47, Tony Li wrote:

I see a few options: the new site can provide their own mapping service and not aggregate, impacting the scalability of the mapping. The new site can find a provider who is covering their existing prefix. This could be very
challenging if the prefix is part of the swamp, for example.

Why would you assume this would be done on a commercial basis?

Wouldn't the RIRs be natural candidates to do this?

About the renumbering poll: either avoid it completely or make it a routine event, the middle ground is problematic. If we require people to renumber to make routing scalable then people are going to wait until 5 minutes before the routing system melts down to renumber. See IPv6 deployment. (And if MIT renumbered out of their /8 into a /16 or / 12 or whatever, we'd have a month more of IPv4 address space but they and other organizations in the same boat aren't doing that, part of the reason is presumably that it's expensive.)

Of course renumbering of locators MUST be routine and easy, if it isn't, there is no point in an id/loc scheme.