Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

On 25 aug 2008, at 17:56, Tony Li wrote:

|Why would you assume this would be done on a commercial basis?

It would seem unreasonable to expect that it would only be done on a
volunteer basis.

The difficult part is running the service that powers everything. If designed properly, this can be distributed such that the load is spread over ISPs relative to their size. The political/business continuity issues are with the control, which I'm guessing many people will volunteer for. And although I'm highly critical of some aspects of RIR operation, I think they have three things that are important: they're capable, well funded and neutral.

|Wouldn't the RIRs be natural candidates to do this?

Not really. They would be one obvious organization to participate, but given the failure modes that this would create, it would seem that the root mapping function should be on a set of organizations, with a diversity of sites. A more logical set of candidates would be the root nameserver folks.

There is some overlap between the two groups.  :-)

When the time comes to do the design we can learn something from the DNS situation. For instance, we should definately avoid ugly hacks like inter-domain anycast and design things such that the amount of bogus queries is less than 98%.

Also, it's strange that a fixed, small set of people run instances of this service and people don't get to do that for themselves. Although if people would run their own DNS root service, the "real" root service would be all the zone transfers.