Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

And does the registry community think a Loc/ID split solution is acceptable? I mean, maybe not the specific solutions that deliver Loc/ID split but the concept?

The concept of a Loc/ID split is very attractive, and many folks over the years have been clamoring for that for a variety of different reasons. It fits the mental model of how people view networks (or any objects) better than the current (flawed) model of overloading locators to also serve as identifiers.

So, you think its not a non-starter to have devices that DPI, to look a little deeper into the packet to look for identifiers?

I don't see the connection between what I said and that question.

FWIW, I'm against _requiring_ DPI because it introduces state and causes scaling and reliability problems. I can see reasons it might be useful as an optimization, or at borders between sites to enforce security, but IMHO a generic router shouldn't need anything that isn't in the (fixed) outer header to decide what to do with a packet.

Since you deal with locators at the routing level and then decouple an ID to another level, then when you do policy on IDs, you'll have to look at a different place.

I was wondering if changing DPI boxes is a non-starter. But from your response you don't want to use them anyhow. So the question was answered.

The current proposals only take that split to a site level, and conceptually that's still not ideal, but it's a lot better than what we have today and could provide a base for further (intra- site) work if desired.

We have documented in LISP how you can use yet another level of indirection to allow LISP to be used inside an SP network for SP based TE. We refer to the nodes that do that are TE-ITRs and TE- ETRs. The mapping system you run among TE-ITRs and TE-ETRs can be anything you want but doesn't need to, and probably be separate, from the mapping database used by ITRs and ETRs at sites for Loc/ID split purposes.

Actually, my comment was referring to how an EID is still overloaded to be a locator within the leaf site, just like an "address" is today. I much prefer OSI's model which ignored subnets and instead had a protocol (ES-IS) that registered the location of a particular host within the site. That gets back to the "modify the stack" problem, but for intra-site protocols, that might be feasible.

Right, but incremental deployment is king.

And if you have opinions why LISP would be acceptable (or not) please provide.

I like the concept of LISP, but I need to spend a lot more time studying the specifics of the mapping systems before I can offer my own comments on individual proposals, but at a high level, I don't see any specific problems with Map&Encap. The cost is low and benefits accrue immediately to the people who pay it, and no change to hosts or most routers is required. Of course, I'm only speaking for myself here, not the entire PI horde ;-)

So who do you think should push/lobby for it. Should SPs lobby for their customers to deploy it by creating some unknown incentive at this point?

My assumption is that, at first, it will be ISPs deploying LISP on behalf of their existing PI customers, because they are the ones that will get the direct benefit from pulling those routes out of the DFZ.

Okay.

Should sites do it on their own because they like the simpler use of multi-homing and not to ever have to consider renumbering?

Sites that already have PI space will not "do it on their own" unless there is an incremental benefit (such as more detailed control) vs. having their upstream do it for them.

They do get more detailed control.

Sites that cannot get PI today, but who can get EIDs tomorrow, will have no choice but to run their own ETR if they want effective multihoming.

Right, good point. Assuming ISPs will reject their PI advertisements.

Or, should registries push it for the good of the Internet and get incentives to both sites and SPs?

I don't think it's the registries' place to provide incentives. IMHO, it's more likely that the existence of LISP would cause the communities to reduce or eliminate the bar to getting direct assignments, which would force ISPs' hands.

I mean registries could sell more address management services.

There's still the looming question of who's going to provide the initial Anycast ITRs that are needed to make incremental deployment and reaching critical mass possible, but there are several different reasonable solutions to that problem and so I'm not very concerned about it at this point.

Would registries want to do this?

Want? Probably. Willing to pay for it and take on the legal risks? That's the big question.

Yes, new revenue opportunities.

Dino