Re: [RRG] Consequences of no renumbering...

Tony,
- For the map-and-encap solutions, there seems like a similar issue.  If we
look at the current LISP transition plan, there is currently a requirement
for sites to renumber once to get into an aggregateable EID space.

If renumbering is not required, then EID space doesn't aggregate.  If
transition boxes (PTRs) advertised EID space into legacy routing, then it
would imply that there wouldn't be any reduction in prefix count until
transition was wholly complete.  That doesn't seem very practical.

I'm not ready to say that there aren't transition schemes that could get
around this, but these are the issues that I'm seeing.

Comments?

Sure. I think we're losing sight of the timetables with which we need to work. I don't see a short term problem. In fact we could expend resources to get us into a good long term steady state. There are obvious limits on how much resources, but the argument to the business manager is this: eat some additional memory here and there for now and we'll see a tail-off effect (hopefully not too much) later. The key, however, is completing transition.

Eliot