Re: [RRG] Consequences of no renumbering...

On 2008-09-11 17:02, Tony Li wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>
> |There is no scalable routing system - or transition scheme to a
> |scalable routing system - which can meet our goals of being
> |attractive to end-users and generating real scalability benefits if
> |it is not allowed to require most small end-user networks (all PI
> |and probably most small PA) to renumber once when adopting the new
> |system.
>
> One word: translation.

Two words: fast mapping.

I missed the bit where it was proved that fast mapping mathematically
requires aggregatable EIDs.

As I said a couple of weeks ago:

However, would a lower estimate, say 2^23
(8 million) prefixes be an issue? If not, why can't we start on the
assumption that we know how to support a map with 8 or 10 million
entries, and have many years to figure out a sparse mapping system
with several orders of magnitude more entries?

     Brian