[RRG] Fast and sparse mapping?

Hi Brian,

I don't understand any part of what you wrote clearly enough to
respond.  Could you be more expansive?

It seems there is a new Olympic sport of trying to discuss scalable
routing in as few words as possible.  Perhaps there could be similar
contests restricting communication to haiku, sign-language or charades.

I would prefer a more detailed initial exposition so I don't have to
write back to the list and report I wasn't able to guess the full
meaning the writer had in mind.

  - Robin

Subject: Re: [RRG] Consequences of no renumbering...

> On 2008-09-11 17:02, Tony Li wrote:
>> Hi Robin,
>>
>> |There is no scalable routing system - or transition scheme to a
>> |scalable routing system - which can meet our goals of being
>> |attractive to end-users and generating real scalability benefits
>> |if it is not allowed to require most small end-user networks
>> |(all PI and probably most small PA) to renumber once when
>> |adopting the new system.
>>
>> One word: translation.
>
> Two words: fast mapping.

Other than Ivip's essentially real-time control of ITRs by
end-users, I am not sure what "fast mapping" means.  Please explain
what you mean, with some examples.

> I missed the bit where it was proved that fast mapping
> mathematically requires aggregatable EIDs.

Who suggested this?

> As I said a couple of weeks ago:
>
> However, would a lower estimate, say 2^23 (8 million) prefixes be
> an issue?

An "issue" (meaning problem) for what?  I assume this figure is for
the number of EID prefixes (LISP and APT terminology) or micronets
(Ivip) which the mapping system supports.  Or is this a figure of
how many routes are advertised in BGP?

> If not, why can't we start on the assumption that we know how to
> support a map with 8 or 10 million entries, and have many years to
> figure out a sparse  mapping system with several orders of
> magnitude more entries?

I don't understand what "sparse mapping" means.