Re: [RRG] Consequences of no renumbering...

On Sep 11, 2008, at 9:59 AM, Scott Brim wrote:

Excerpts from Lixia Zhang on Thu, Sep 11, 2008 08:52:16AM -0700:
- multipath transport solutions (e.g. like the one Mark Handley
presented in Dublin), potentially can bring great benefits to users
and applications.

- as I presented in Dublin, transport solutions can work, orthogonal
to whether using PI or multiple PA addresses.

- the only thing that seems problematic is an attempt to scale the
routing system by relying on all edge networks doing renumbering.

I believe all the pure endpoint-based solutions scale routing by
making all addressing hierarchical.  Endpoint-based solutions,
including multipath, still generally expect an endpoint to know its
many addresses

2/ knowing many addresses is one way to get there, not necessarily the only way

1/ even if one uses many addresses that corresponding to many providers, one still does not have to use PA addresses (see my Dublin talk)

and when a site changes its upstream connections it
needs to reconfigure all of its services and ACLs to deal with the new
addresses.  Ouch.