Re: [RRG] Consequences of no renumbering...

> From: "Tony Li" <tony.li@tony.li>
> Subject: [RRG] Consequences of no renumbering...
> Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 23:00:15 -0400
>
> Hi all,
>
> So in thinking more about our recent consensus on renumbering, it seems to
> me that this helps us prune the solution tree a bit.

[[  munch  ]]

> I'm not ready to say that there aren't transition schemes that could get
> around this, but these are the issues that I'm seeing.
>
> Comments?

Is a re-numbering as painful for a "pure transit" network as it is for an
end-user network?

Postulating -disjoint- address-spaces between 'transit networks', and 'leaf
networks',  with all 'content' origination/consumption occuring on the
'leaf' networks, is it practical to require the transit network to re-
number *IF*:
   (a) they have (almost) exhausted their current 'transit-space' allocation,
   =and=
   (b) there is no adjacent contiguous block of like size available  to
       allocate to them.

In the 'pure transit' realm, I only see the following places where
addresses would be used:
   1) loaded in the device interface, itself.
   2) in an 'in-addr.arpa' zone, and the "A' records the 'in-addr' PTR
      records point to.  (also the NS records, obviously)
   3) in 'digital certificates' used to verify identity.
      (This would seem to be solvable, by gettting a 'certificate signing
       certificate' that did -not- specify the IP address, but verified
       identity by other means.  Then  use _that_ certificate to self-
       sign certificates verifying the IP address

Things like VoIP, bittorent, Kazaa (or whatever it's "successor" is this week),
etc, don't originate/terminate _on_ the 'pure transit' network, so there won't
be any 'pure transit' addresses being carried around as 'packet data' from
those things.

Am I missing anything?