Re: [RRG] NAT capabilities

On 12 sep 2008, at 15:50, RJ Atkinson wrote:

Renumbering:
- Because only a handful of our devices have any public IP
 address(es), renumbering is practical.  IT typically brings
 up the new uplink first, configures that into the gateway
 boxes as appropriate, then deconfigures the defunct public
 IP addresses.
- Most often, the gateway boxes can learn their public IP
 address(es) by acting as a DHCP client on their black
 interface(es).  This makes things even easier.
- Internal systems never need to be touched when external
 connectivity changes.

As many people have been saying for a long time: the hard part isn't giving internal systems a new address, the hard part is putting the new address in all the places visible to the outside world, bonus point for doing it seamlessly.

The only thing all this NAT buys you is a reduction of the number of places that must be touched. I'm not impressed.