Re: [RRG] Solving the routing scaling problem for internal networks too? Ivip may be able to help

On 30 sep 2008, at 8:32, Robin Whittle wrote:

I understand that some networks have millions of internal routes.  I
assume this is sustainable - so OSPF or IS-IS presumably scales
somewhat better than BGP.

I don't want to get too deep into this discussion as I think it's less important than interdomain routing and also much, much harder to even get any info because so many network operators are so secretive.

But IGPs like OSPF or IS-IS are _less_ capable of handling very large numbers of prefixes as far as I know. They tend to be used mainly, or even exclusively, to distribute the next hop and loopback addresses that BGP needs. Internal prefixes are then carried in iBGP.

Also, internal routing SHOULD be a lot more aggregatable than interdomain routing, although of course there are always difficulties. If 10 small ISPs can handle 100k customers between them, should we bend over backwards to make it possible for 1 large ISP to handle 100k customers?