RE: multi6-functional-dec and re-homing

Marcelo,

> I think that we have a terminology issue here, and i guess that we can
> benefit from the distinction made by Jari.
> One thing is the shim protocol, that as you mentioned is only needed to
> preserve the established communications and another thing is the output
> of the shim wg, which can be broader than just the protocol for
> preserving establishing communications. What i am arguing for is that
> the shim wg should also provide the mechanisms to establish new
> communications after an outage in the case that only one of the hosts
> is upgraded and the other one is just an legacy ipv6 node (i.e. at
> least point 3 below)

I agree; I think there may be some debate about how generic the
mechanism for re-establishing communication should be.  In my opinion,
such a model is needed for the shim6 protocol to work properly; however,
I think we should work on a mechanism that is more optimized for use
with shim6 than a completely generic mechanism, or at least that is
what our target should be.  If we do develope a mechanism that works
with or without shim6, than that is a good thing, but I don't think
we should have a requirement that this mechanism should work without
shim6.

> Otoh, even the shim layer will need to establish new communications
> after an outage, so this mechanism is also needed for the shim to work
> properly (however, we could envision different mechanisms in the case
> that both ends support the shim and in the case when one legacy host is
> involved). also, the ingress filtering compatibility mechanisms are
> needed for the shim to work.

I agree with this.

John