Re: New version of charter text

Hi Pasi,

El 09/02/2005, a las 12:24, Pasi Sarolahti escribió:

[I'm catching up a bit late... The discussion was about APIs]

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 11:17, ext Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

On 2005-01-26, at 21.04, Erik Nordmark wrote:
I read Marcelo's comment as a more application layer thing, i.e. a
question whether we should work on an abstract API (not a binding to a
particular programming language) which applications can use to
- observe what is going on below (which locator pair is used now?
what interface - GPRS or 802.11 - is being used?),
- express preferences (don't even try over GPRS type things) or some
other way to control things
[...]
I don't see a need to add anything about this to the charter though.

Ok, I think I misunderstood Marcelo then. However, I would assume that
at least some text on application layer 'events' should be included in
either the architecture or the protocol document?

There might be a bit more to this than just application layer events. I'd think that many systems might still want to use the conventional socket API for shim6 communication. Would the semantics of the traditional socket API functions be affected?

Take bind(), for example? Would it still be possible to bind to a
selected locator/IP address (and what would that mean), or would bind
work on an ULID level, as one would expect if there was a new address
family?

this is good point, but, imho , It is not very likely that we end up with ULID that are not locators. So i think that the bind will apply to any address available, which can be used both as a locator and as identifier.

I mean, as i understand it, ULID that are also locators provide a better support for refferals.
The remaining case where we end up with only locators, is the case where we use N-square addresses approach to perform demux of data packets, but my understanding is that this approach does not have much support (and in any case, i am not sure it would make much sense to allow a bind to one of the locators only addresses used in the n-square approach (this comment is not general about locators but just for the case of the locators resulting from the n-square approach))

Even though APIs are not generally in the IETF scope, it might be worth
it to discuss possible interactions with the traditionally used APIs,
and what applications can expect from the behavior of the underlying
shim6.

agree, but i guess that the charter leaves some space for this discussion

regards, marcelo

Don't know if this would be a charter issue, though, or could it
be included in the other planned documents, if considered useful.

- Pasi