Re: fragmenting the solution space

On 14-mrt-05, at 21:02, Dave Crocker wrote:

It strikes me that mobility vs. multihoming is not benefiting from similar abstraction efforts,

Mobility and multihoming require very different tradeoffs. Mobility needs to be able to add new addresses to existing communication sessions/associations, but it can suffer having a home agent. Multihoming absolutely can't depend on a home agent, but it doesn't really need to add new addresses to existing sessions/associations.

Now if you are about to suggest a mechanism that can add new addresses but doesn't need a home agent, and is sufficiently light-weight that it won't overload the support lines, batteries in mobile devices or the user's willingness to wait for something to happen after clicking, we'll be happy to listen.

nevermind the likely artificial distinction between IPv4 and IPv6 on this topic

We don't even have enough IPv4 addresses to give everyone _one_ address, let alone two or more... IPv4 is is dead. If it turns out we can dress up the corpse with a shim4 layer, fine. If not, no big loss.

and nevermind the real-world transition difficulties created by any suggestion that NATs much change.

Did I mention that IPv4 was dead?

Does it bother anyone that we are marching down a path that our next decade or longer will require support for at least:

1. IPv4 mobile

Huh?

2. IPv6 mobile

Ok, I'll buy this one but it would be nice if someone bothered to implement it first.

3. IPv6 multihoming

People are actually waiting for this one.

4. TCP multihoming

What are you talking about?

5. SCTP multihoming

Nice try, but it comes up short in many respects.

I notice that my windows desktop has pretty awful performance with anything less than 512MB of memory.

It would be nice not to march the Internet stack down the path of requiring that much for my mobile phone.

Exactly. So we have to be careful about requiring strong crypto for basic functionality such as multihoming.