Re: how mobile do we want to be

On 14-mrt-05, at 16:41, avri@psg.com wrote:

I think the question is more a recognition that the network is now a network in motion: systems move and networks move. And while it is true that some part so the network, doesn't move, or moves very slowly, an overwhelming amount of the edge is in motion. And I think it is important to realize that a large number of sessions should remain viable despite this continuous motion.

Could you provide some examples of applications where a disconnect/reconnect is sufficiently problematic that MIPv6 or something similar is warranted?

So far the only stuff I can think of is remote login and streaming audio/video.

In other words I think the question is not, "how mobile do we want to be", but how mobile are we and how mobile will we be by the time a shim6 solution is implemented and widely deployed.

My prediction: not very. 99% of all traffic today is either sessions that go away within seconds, or can be easily reestablished after a forced disconnect. I don't see how the other 1% is going to take over the world any time soon.

It is for these reasons that I am arguing so insistently that we must include systems and networks in motion (if we want to reserve the term mobility for MIP4/6 to avoid confusion) as part of the problem space shim6 must take into account.

I don't think this is a good idea. Let's focus on the basic shim functionality, and when we have something useful there, we can sync up with other efforts and see what we need to do to avoid duplication of effort and to gain synergy.