Re: fragmenting the discussion space

On 15-mrt-05, at 15:58, Bound, Jim wrote:

I still believe if SCTP was deployed problem is solved.

Ok I'm going to shut up about the mobility stuff now, but I have to say something about SCTP...

Let's assume for a moment that SCTPs multihoming is good. (I seem to remember that it has issues, but can't remember those off the top of my head.)

The trouble is that SCTP is as good as undeployable. First of all, it's incompatible with TCP, so hosts would have to know in advance whether to set up an SCTP or a TCP session. Worse, the API is quite different from TCP. There is some glue that makes SCTP look pretty close to TCP, but then you lose all the new features, so there is no point. So moving to SCTP means updating ALL applications, and update them in a significant way.

We've been over all of this and more in multi6. The shim is the place to be. I'll be happy to forward the past two years worth of messages (some 3700) to anyone who wants to catch up...