RE: shim - transport/app communication

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 12:31, ext Jeroen Massar wrote:

> Actually, the only thing an application should depend on here is that it
> supports IPv6 addresses, though I have to note that shim6 should be
> named 'shim', as this trick can also work for IPv4 and then they would
> not even need IPv6 for that matter.

Agree.

>  But the minimal requirement we could
> set is "use a getaddrinfo() loop to cycle through all the addresses",
> the ULID magic can be put in the getaddrinfo() function which returns
> ULID's instead of the routing IP's.

I was not so concerned about the techniques of conversions between
strings and address structures, but the semantic issues that might arise
when the address the application sees might not anymore be the same as
the address actually used in communication. I was wondering what would
happen, for example, when these addresses are being advertised out in
the network as a part of some application protocol.

Another example, I guess that bind() with IP address should still select
the interface used for the socket, right? In principle, if assuming
ULIDs, the parameter address would represent the host, not the
interface. So some of the socket API functions would seem a bit
ambiguous to me.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, and these are not really valid
concerns. I hope I am :-)

- Pasi